All content copyright 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Keith Russell.


Any copying, downloading, etc. of any portion of the contents of this blog--including photographs and artwork--without written permission from Keith Russell,

is not nice...and not legal!







07 August 2010

A "Time Management" Epiphany...

Some friends came over Thursday night and I showed them the new spider painting. They were very positive about it--which always feels good. I wasn't really surprised that they liked it, but I guess I wasn't exactly certain that they would, either.

But they did.

We're getting together with these same friends again this coming Thursday, and it struck me that a week should be enough time to finish the painting.

Usually, I think of my studio time as "time"--I plan to spend an hour, two hours, four hours, five--working in the studio. Most of the time, I feel that my studio time is "hemmed in"; that I have a certain amount of time before I have to stop working, in order to get to work, or head to an event, or stop working in order to get enough sleep.

It struck me the other day, as I was thinking about getting the new painting done before this coming Thursday, that this might not be the best approach.

I'm going to try giving myself a tangible goal in the studio, and worry less about time. Rather than spending two hours, then stopping no matter how much (or how little) I've accomplished, I'm going to try setting more tangible goals; to finish a portion of a painting or drawing, no matter how long it takes.

I want to be more productive, and finish the "Face" paintings, the three new spider paintings, and produce the drawings that will be the basis for the next series (or two).

Maybe this is the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment