All content copyright 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Keith Russell.


Any copying, downloading, etc. of any portion of the contents of this blog--including photographs and artwork--without written permission from Keith Russell,

is not nice...and not legal!







16 August 2010

Finally...a SHOW!


Since the first of the year, I've felt--two or three times--like I was very close to setting up an exhibit of my work, and it didn't pan out. I was honestly starting to wonder if there was something wrong with me, my work (or both).

Earlier this year, a local artist I know was trying to help me line up a show. He suggested a couple galleries he thought would be a good "fit" for my work.

I contacted the first gallery he suggested within a day or two after he mentioned it. But, by the start of their next opening, the place had changed hands, and the new owners weren't sure they would continue operating the space as a gallery.

At another gallery my friend recommended, the contact person quit the day after I emailed her.

So, last week, another artist friend of mine told me that the place where he's exhibiting in September still needs more art, to fill their space for their First Friday show on September 3rd. It seemed like a real possibility--but I knew better than to get my hopes up.

I talked to my friend today, and he was stopping by the place tonight, and he said the gallery owner would be there this evening, too. So, I stopped by after dinner, and took three of the "Invented Face" paintings with me. The owner of the gallery was very complimentary, really seemed to like my work.

So, I'm in!

I'll be showing 9 - 12 of my new paintings at the Mod Gallery, 1809 McGee St. in downtown Kansas City. It's a cool gallery space, across from two other galleries, and a couple of shops away from a popular gourmet chocolatier. I expect that the show will be well-attended.

The show opens Friday September 3rd, at 5:30 PM.

On the way home, my step-daughter asked if this was my first show. No, it's certainly not my first show.

But, it is my first show in a commercial gallery (yes, ever!), and my first "serious" show since graduation (more than two years ago, kind of pathetic!)

I'm very excited, and have lots of work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment