All content copyright 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Keith Russell.


Any copying, downloading, etc. of any portion of the contents of this blog--including photographs and artwork--without written permission from Keith Russell,

is not nice...and not legal!







05 April 2010

Moving, plus the new stuff: "a preview" (in words)...

I had forgotten (or, more likely) repressed, just how much work moving is. I had Friday, yesterday, and today off, and I've been moving about four carloads of stuff (on average) each day, over to the new place. About half of the floor of the room that will be my new studio is covered in boxes, and I just finished disassembling the drafting table, and putting most of it in the car.

I'm hoping to have it reassembled and set up, in the new studio, tonight--

--but I'm getting tired. It's been a very long weekend.

I haven't heard from the guy about the truck, which is fine--plenty of other things to do. But, my fear is that he'll call asking me to start work on it right away, without any advance notice. That'll be a problem because I'll need time to have the supplies purchased and delivered; I only buy automotive paint when I need it. If he doesn't allow for that plus the actual painting-time, I won't have time to do a really good job, even if there's enough time to meet his deadline.

But, I haven't heard from him, so I'm not going to worry about it right now.

I've been thinking--a lot--about my next three paintings. All three are basically new versions of some paintings I began working on while I was at school, but wasn't able to fully realize to my satisfaction, within the restrictions necessary in a classroom setting.

Of course, they won't simply be copies. I'm hoping to avoid many of the problems I had with the earlier versions--including the fact that they were never actually completed!

For each painting, I'm going to create a "tight" (finished) fully rendered drawing (including all the values from highlights to shading) before I start painting. And I'm seriously thinking of creating my next three large paintings using the "Mische" technique, using alternating layers of transparent oils, each layer following by repainting the underpainting using white egg-tempera, and finally finishing the painting using additional layers of transparent oils.

These next three paintings are going to be large paintings, at least 36x60 inches. I have the panels already built, and the first one is primed and ready for the first drawing to be transferred to it--once the drawing is "finsihed".

I've started the drawing...

No comments:

Post a Comment