All content copyright 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Keith Russell.

Any copying, downloading, etc. of any portion of the contents of this blog--including photographs and artwork--without written permission from Keith Russell,

is not nice...and not legal!

16 July 2011

Another day, another spider...

I will most likely be hanging my art at the Wine Gallery, 19th & McGee, on Monday night. I'm hoping to have at least one new sculpture, and one new painting, for this show, which opens the Visual Arts part of the Kansas City Fringe Festival, Thursday night.

The sculpture, Bone Spider, was originally sculpted right before my April opening. One of the spider's legs broke inside the frame as I was putting pieces in the car to take to the gallery, and there wasn't enough time to open the frame, repair the sculpture, and re-frame it, and get to the gallery on time.

Over the past couple of days, I've completely re-sculpted the piece (I thought the spider's body in the "April attempt" looked cartoonish...rushed), and I'm hoping to bake it tonight. If all goes well, I'm going to put an acrylic glaze over it, and get it in the frame tomorrow.

And I'm going to need to spend several hours this weekend painting, too.

I have a frame for a second sculpture, but I don't know if there will be time to sculpt another one in time to hang it, too, Monday night. I still might try to get it finished this week, and if nothing else, I could hang it right before the show opens, Thursday night.

The photo shows the progress on the sculpture last night; the two sections of the body, and three of the legs. I have seven of the eight legs done now. I still need to sculpt the pedipalps & chelicerae (mouth parts), and add the eyes.

If I can get a good photo of the sculpture in the frame (glare from the glass may pose a bit of a problem) this will be the image for my new business cards.

I'm really excited about the Fringe Fest. That the Visual Artists are all exhibiting together, and in an "actual" gallery, is terrific. And it's a short show, only about a week and half. If anything sells (hope, hope, hope), I shouldn't have to wait too long to "get paid" (always a good thing!)

And, I'm really anxious to get to work on the "next" stuff; the stuff for my second solo show in February. I have 50 lbs of porcelain in my studio now, and five or six decent-sized (24x36 up to 36x48 inches) traditionally-gessoed panels ready. (Better still, I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to end up painting on most of them!)

Lots to do.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment