All content copyright 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Keith Russell.


Any copying, downloading, etc. of any portion of the contents of this blog--including photographs and artwork--without written permission from Keith Russell,

is not nice...and not legal!







18 November 2013

Another (small) painting begins...

I've posted a couple "in progress" photos of this to my FaceBook group, but I wanted to write more about it, here.

This is a brand new "small spider" (5 x 7 inches) painting, and is based on a section of an even smaller (3.5 x 5 inches) pen-and-ink drawing I made last week.

I think it's going well, so far. The background is airbrushed acrylics; the legs are painted using brushes, in oils.

I did very little preliminary drawing on this, (using the smaller pen-and-ink as my reference) and beyond the basic "pose" of the legs, I'm pretty much making this up as I go. The lighting bothers me right now, so I will probably spend some time "tweaking" the shading on the legs, before proceeding further.

I may add colour to the legs, and I may add details to the background; I'm not sure at this point. I like the "skeletal" look of the legs, but they do look a bit more like an underpainting than I prefer. We'll see.

Anyway, here it is, as things stand right now.

Still quite a bit of work still to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment