All content copyright 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Keith Russell.


Any copying, downloading, etc. of any portion of the contents of this blog--including photographs and artwork--without written permission from Keith Russell,

is not nice...and not legal!







20 May 2011

out of the blue

I opened my FaceBook account today, and there was a message from the curator at a local gallery, asking if I would be interested in exhibiting there next February - March.

I said "Yes", of course--but it really hasn't sunk in, yet. (This could be really good!)

Several years ago, I approached a local gallery about scheduling a show, and they wanted to see all of the work I would be exhibiting, before they would put me on their calendar. Now, it's always easier for me to "get to work" if I have a deadline. Yes, I'm always making art, but I am far more "dedicated" about it, if I have an "event" looming ahead.

So, this is amazing. I have seven months to prepare work for this show. (And, it's a BIG space; I'm going to need as much work as I can possibly create!)

And the best news is, I talked to an artist this afternoon who has shown in this space several times, and (at least according to him) the gallery is cool with "edgy" stuff. I've been wanting to take at least some of the next "spider" paintings in a slightly creepier direction, so I'm relieved that I won't have to put those ideas aside, to do this show.

I know there are artists in this town who seem to have trouble finding places to show their work, as well as artists who pay to exhibit in cooperative galleries (or other types of "vanity" spaces), etc. (And, until the last year or so, I was one of the ones having trouble finding places to show!)

But, the universe and I seem to be aligned (at least right now), and I'm going to take full advantage of this, and create some amazing stuff over the next seven months.

(And yes, you'll see it here, first!)

I (for one) can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment