I've posted a couple "in progress" photos of this to my FaceBook group, but I wanted to write more about it, here.
This is a brand new "small spider" (5 x 7 inches) painting, and is based on a section of an even smaller (3.5 x 5 inches) pen-and-ink drawing I made last week.
I think it's going well, so far. The background is airbrushed acrylics; the legs are painted using brushes, in oils.
I did very little preliminary drawing on this, (using the smaller pen-and-ink as my reference) and beyond the basic "pose" of the legs, I'm pretty much making this up as I go. The lighting bothers me right now, so I will probably spend some time "tweaking" the shading on the legs, before proceeding further.
I may add colour to the legs, and I may add details to the background; I'm not sure at this point. I like the "skeletal" look of the legs, but they do look a bit more like an underpainting than I prefer. We'll see.
Anyway, here it is, as things stand right now.
Still quite a bit of work still to do...